The Child Has Red Eyes – Possible ProblemsJune 28, 2019
Red eyes are a common occurrence among people of all ages. Such a symptom can occur both because of the banal overwork (as a result of long reading, long watching TV, etc.), and due to serious diseases. If you notice that your child’s eye proteins become red, do not rush to sound the alarm, but do not relax. In this article, we will talk about what could cause such a disease, and what to do to get rid of it. Read it and find answers to your questions!
Why can blush eyes: the causes of disease
If a child has red eyes, this can be caused by:
- lack of sleep;
- the trauma of eye proteins, as a result of which the vessels broke;
- rupture of capillaries in the eye;
- long stay in bright light;
- irritation of the mucous membrane as a result of third-party objects falling into the eyeball;
- allergic reaction to anything;
- a cold;
- increased intraocular pressure and so on.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to determine for yourself what caused the reddening of the eyes of a child. To establish an accurate diagnosis can only be qualified after examining the baby. However, there are a number of symptoms that accompany redness, which may hint at the presence of a particular disease. Now we will consider them.
The child has watery and red eyes
Tearing eyes and their redness is the main symptom of conjunctivitis. The disease is also accompanied by symptoms such as eye swelling and itching. Before you begin treatment, take the baby to a specialist to confirm the diagnosis.
Conjunctivitis most often develops as a result of:
- a specific infection;
- flower pollen allergies;
- interactions with chlorine-containing water and other chemical irritants;
- the presence of bacteria.
Be careful, because bacterial and viral conjunctivitis can be passed from your child to you.
How to treat conjunctivitis
What to do with conjunctivitis in a child? If a disease is provoked by a chemical irritant (detergent, chlorine, etc.), then there is no need to treat the baby. You should only wash the child’s eyes, after which the redness will disappear.
If the disease has arisen due to the presence of an allergen nearby, it is necessary to establish the source of the allergy and get rid of it, then the result will not take long. Conjunctivitis is not dangerous: in most cases, the disease passes without complications, provided that the parents monitor the hygiene of their child’s eyes. However, if the disease is caused by chlamydia or gonorrhea, there is a risk of complications. We recommend that the child be shown to a specialist so that he establishes the root cause of the disease and prescribes appropriate treatment, especially if conjunctivitis does not go away for a long period.
The eyes are red and swollen.
If your child has not only reddened eyes, but one or both of the visual organs are also swollen, this may indicate:
- Excess salt in the body. This is often found in pretty adult children who prefer to pamper themselves with something salty. To remove puffiness, you can use ordinary tea, or rather a compress from a drink: take a cotton pad, moisten it with tea (cold tea) and put it on your child’s eyes for a while. Swelling should pass in less than a day.
- Ophthalmotonus. To put it in simple terms, this is increased intraocular pressure. In this case, only a doctor can determine the cause of the disease and prescribe the appropriate treatment. If the child’s puffiness does not go away, immediately show it to a specialist.
- Insect bite. Perhaps your child was bitten by some kind of insect that caused an allergic reaction. In this case, call your doctor and find out what you can do to remove the swelling. Some drugs that are used by adults may be prohibited by children.
A child has a strong itch and red eyes
If you notice that the child is scratching the eyes, and also the fact that they have reddened, it is possible that the baby develops one of the following diseases:
- Barley. A red, itchy eye is a sure sign of the onset of inflammation, in particular, barely. The disease is very common, but it is not among the serious diseases. This is an inflammatory process that occurs either in the sebaceous gland or near the root of the eyelashes. In addition to itching, the disease is accompanied by swelling in the eyelids: the affected area begins to hurt. A few days later a yellow head will appear on the upper part of the barley hearth. An abscess can open up on its own, causing the pus to drain out and the pain to stop bothering the baby.
- Demodekoz century. If the child’s eyes are red and itchy, this may indicate such a disease as demodicosis. Demodicosis is a skin lesion called a microscopic mite. In case of illness, the eyelids are itchy and covered with a characteristic scale. Viscous discharge from the eye area is also possible. The disease is treated with drugs, so take the baby to the doctor so that the doctor prescribes the necessary funds. The doctor may also prescribe cryotherapy and a range of physiotherapy procedures.
- Belmo. The eye may itch due to the cataract, that is, corneal opacities. The disease occurs due to injuries or as a result of inflammation in the eye. It happens that kids are born with such a disease.
- Cataract. The disease occurs mainly in old age but often develops in children. In addition to itching and redness of the eyes, the child will experience double vision. The disease occurs due to injuries, a number of previous diseases or diabetes.
- Trachoma. When a child is ill, it is not the eye that is itching, but the area under it. Trachoma is called corneal inflammation. In case of illness, the baby will feel that there is a foreign object in the eye area, while the eyeball will turn red and itch.
- Dry eyes. The illness will be accompanied by characteristic symptoms: itching or burning, stinging of the eyelids, foreign body sensation in the eye area. The condition quickly improves if the child drops his eyes with special drops. Prescribe medication can doctor. In no case do not pick up the drug yourself. Often dryness occurs after a long stay at the computer. Do not allow your child to sit in front of the monitor too long, as this is quite harmful to his eyes.
It is worth noting that not all the diseases that can blush the eyes are listed above. We will not tire of repeating: only a doctor will be able to make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment, and therefore take the time and take the child to a specialist.
How to treat an ailment?
The method of treatment will depend directly on the disease that provoked the reddening of the eyes. In most cases, doctors prescribe special drops and ointments. If the disease is serious, medications are used. If the redness is caused by obstruction of the tear duct, the baby will need to drip antibacterial droplets. You may also need a special message.
If the disease is provoked by an allergy to something, you need to get rid of the allergen and take glad antihistamine drugs allowed for children. With a disease such as blepharitis, washing with tar soap, ointments, gels, and so on is prescribed. It will also be necessary to show the child to the gastroenterologist because blepharitis can be caused by certain problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
If redness caused glaucoma, then surgery may be needed, since the conservative treatment of this disease does not have the desired effect. Fortunately, this disease is quite rare.
Now you know why your baby may turn red eyes. Such a nuisance is rarely a symptom of a serious illness, but in any case, if the redness does not pass for a long time, show the child to a specialist. Health to you and your children!